1.23.2006

The response

Bush is speaking at K-State for the Landon Lecture series as I write this. Consider this my running commentary much like the Democratic reponse after the State of the Union. Although I do keep losing my connection and RealPlayer keeps rebuffering making it a little difficult to have coherent thoughts.

For the first five minutes, Bush made jokes. He's not funny. Not even close to funny. The only funny things he do are unintentional or using words like "youngsters, thugs" and "folks.Then he repeats a university official telling him "I appreciate you believing in free speech." Then my player cut out. But I can only assume Bush said he believes in indiviudal freedoms like free spech except when you are at the library, work, doctor and anywhere else the govt. finds it appropriate to moniter your every move. Oh and paying columnists to write good things about him. Go free speech!

Within seven minutes, Bush jumped on the Sept. 11 horse and talked about his resolve. That horse has got to be tired. He then went on to defend himself about committing troops and said he knew what the consequences were. I don''t believe this. If he knew what he was getting into then what was that little "Misson Accompished" act when the war was anything but close to over.

It was cute how he said he was OK with people disagreeing. Just like how every "town hall" meeting is screened for dissenters to ensure the 7-year-old stands up and says "When can I be in the Army and give my life for my country? "Also kind of cute how he says he doesn't listen to polls and surveys of his constituents. Democracy just rolled over in its grave. I agree with Bush that he shouldn't be making decisions based on any USA Today poll, BUT when more than half the country that elected you thinks you suck at your job, it might be time to reevaluate otherwise how are we any better than any "tyrant" that governs a country based on their own beliefs rather than the country's will.

He's laughing about how the CIA/FBI kept secrets from each other. Hillllarious. I hate the Patriot Act even more than I hate Bush. He says there are no complaints against misuse of the PA. If the threats still exist the tools must be in place. AH! I do hope knowing what library books I am reading helps keep tall buildings intact. Onto the new surveillance program. I do think the media is making it worse than it seems, however it opens the door to just murdering civil liberties. I think I would much rather live "in the world we live" without thinking my own government was spying on me.

Time for questions: 1.) President of cattleman''s association, salutes the president for his efforts. Just wants a comment, no question. 2.) Sudan. Ooh, potential for real question here. Bush says we have been active and played an important role. (insert shameless random plug for faith-based programs here) He says it's really too complex and would require another lecture. I''d like to attend that one. 3.) China and Iran relations. Good answer, insert Golden Rule plug, he was impressed with Chinese churches and then invites Americans to go see Chinese churches. FIlibuster joke has he wanders and plugs hydrocarbons. 4.) American-Iraqi woman salutes Bush on freeing 27 million people of Iraq. PERFECTLY PLACED. Bush calls her out and asks for a question. She never asks one. She keeps interrupting him to praise him more. 5.) British man asking Bush to talk about how awesome Tony Blair is. Bush then touts his decisions about hating the world court and the Kyoto treaty. My dad who is in the crowd is probably rolling his eyes at this moment. Continue love-fest for Tony Blair. 6.) ROTC guy asks about leadership in general. Bush says faith, family and friends which generates wild applause. Says his dog is the son he never had. He believes in what he is doing. That, I can respect although he's generally wrong. He works out. You should too. 7.) Bush-loving woman who served in Desert Storm. Thanks for not listening to the critics and keeping your promises. Alito: how does it stand (because I don't read the news). Judges should interpret the Constitution (and overturn Roe v. Wade) and Alito is just fabulous. Oh and Sam Brownback, too who helped run the hearings. 8.) Student asking about social security. No it won't be viable when students are old. Guess we''re fucked. It's Congress' fault by the way. Just get a savings account, duh. 9.) Girl gives him a letter. Odd. 10.) Eduction budget was cut 12.7 billion dollars. No, no says Bush "I think" we reformed the student loan program to make it work better for you. Silly girl. He's gonna check when he gets back to D>C though. 11.) Laura Bush is great, plese talk about her. She reminds him of people from Kansas. He loves his wife. 12.) HAHAHA. Kid from my high school. Funniest kid alive. Asks about Bush's opinion on Brokeback Mountain. He hasn't seen it. Fabulous question. 13.)Altaf Karim. Something about nuclear weapons and getting rid of them. 14.) Hispanic woman asks something about green cards. Bush says his obligatory Spanish word toward her. Then says borders should be secure. Catch and release program. Just like the possums in my backyard. Temp. worker card. Please do our shitty jobs for pennies. We know you are doing jobs that we wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole.

He's gotta go now b/c Laura is making dinner. Riiiight. God bless you and America. Cue the presidential theme music. Crowd goes wild.

6 comments:

White Hat Black Hat said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
White Hat Black Hat said...

I think it's funny that we both wrote about this today, and that my post is the only one that makes any sense. I think your post may have been screwed up by some kind of liberal blogger filter or something. You should call them about that.

[I removed the rest of my prevous comment and deleted it above because it didn't match with the general tone of this blog. Rants like that are better placed at my site.]

Anonymous said...

I'd have to say that between the two of you, Sarah's blog wins. It's funnier and actually has a point.

Of course, she does have the fact that she's leaving her job in a week and has time to listen to the speech going for her.

Brother, you get points for posting pictures.

I'm not posting about Bush, except for this comment.

Scene: Co-workers talking about K-State giving Bush a football jersey:

Me: We give everyone a football jersey.

Them: Blink, Blink.

Me: No, seriously. Everyone who comes to K-State gets a football jersey. It's just a thing we do.

Them: Blink, blink.

Me: Yep. I got one when I graduated along with my diploma. Then we have to put them on over our robes and do the Wabash before they let us throw our hats.

Them: Reeeaaaaally?

Me: No.

Sarah said...

Haha. Everyone DOES get something K-State. Then they hold it up and someone takes a picture and then K-State lovers post it on their blog.

Jo said...

Remember how we had that conversation about you sounding bitter? This post is Exhibit A. But it's ok, I'm a little bitter too, because I DIDN'T GET A FREE TICKET ON THE FLOOR EVEN THOUGH I PUT A YEAR'S WORTH OF EFFORT INTO THE SOUL-STEALING COLLEGIAN.

Sarah said...

Blogs are for sounding bitter when you want to. Bush makes me bitter as do most far right politicians and even far left politicians.