4.07.2006

Too soon?


The United 93 movie trailers are being shown now in movie theaters. Some theaters have cancelled the preview because viewers were complaining that it was just too soon for a 9/11 movie or that the trailer was too upsetting.

9/11 will most likely be the most defining moment in this generation's life. We will all remember where we were when we heard and how we sat in front of the TV for the next week transfixed by that awful video of a commerical plane hitting the second tower. What will always be burned in my mind is the photo, run broadsheet-length, in the San Jose Merc News of people jumping.

It's been five years, and Hollywood is ready to try out a movie. I don't think it's wrong. I'll go see it when it comes out at the end of this month. I will go knowing that I will cry a lot and probably feel sick to my stomach. But making the movie any less than real would seem to dishonor the horror and tragedy of that day.

It could be a good thing. It's not as if we could ever forget that day, but maybe it will help us remember just how horrible it was. How much have we really done to prevent 9/11 from happening again? Does taking off our shoes while going through airport security and banning knitting needles from carry-on bags really make us that much safer?

If I were a New Yorker, though, and naiively went to see "The Inside Man" only to be shocked by a vivid reminder of how my friends died, would I feel differently? Probably.

But my guess is there are vivid reminders every single day, and this movie won't make gettting over 9/11 any better or worse.

No comments: