2.10.2006

Italy, I miss you

I wish I were in Italy right now. Walking down those narrow streets, finding little shops or street artisans around every corner. Sipping wine at every meal and curling the pasta in my mouth. Then stopping at a gelato stand for the most fabulous taste my mouth has ever known.



I miss the canals in Venice and those annoying little men who sell the bundles of roses. And the exclaiming at all the Venetians could fit on boats- cops, garbage trucks, buses, etc. The island Murano where the jewelry is authentic, made right there with the hot iron melting the glass into amazing shapes.



Sometimes I wish I could spend a day in the art museums in Florence again. I wouldn't mind waiting three hours this time, and I'd probably appreciate the art a whole lot more. I could run my hands across the outside walls and doors of the cathedrals realizing how ancient they are. I'd wander into more neighborhood churches and hear the Italian verses and the corners with altars to saints surrounded by the glow of candles.

And in Rome, I'd wish harder at the Trevi Fountain and I'd make sure I again threw my coin facing the wrong way so to ensure I would return to Rome again.




I'd spend at least a week eating along Piazza Navona, and this time I would have one of those guys draw my potrait. And drink many more glasses of wine that clash just perfectly with the garlic and olive oil pasta.




More than that, I want to create new memories that belong only to me.

2 comments:

Jo said...

Mmm... gelato.

Jo said...

Oh, and yay for posts with pictures!