4.21.2007

Missing college

I am home this weekend and for the first time in two years, I miss college. Not everything just small things like feeling the same thing as 22,000 people whether it is the stress of finals or the excitement of a home football game. I miss the way a Mac mouse feels in my hand, scanning through newspaper pages looking for errors.

I miss the way my bare feet feel running down the hill of my driveway at night to get something from my car. I miss walking to my car at 1 a.m. when campus is empty but in the distance you can still hear people yelling or music playing.

I miss the crappy wood floors of the newsroom. I miss the purple fridge and the STD-infested leather couch. I miss looking at the clock, seeing it is 11:30 p.m. and thinking it was so early.

Then I miss some big things like knowing what I want to do for the rest of my life and not being jaded by the reality of how all those ideals are going to play out when the real world gets involved.

Being at home is just as unsettling as it is comfortable because I ache for the things I wish I had done, had another year to see how they would turn out or just that time in my life that is just a big memory.

No comments: