4.27.2007

The GRE and other useless knowledge

I'm taking the GRE at the end of the summer. At least that was the plan before I found out that I am really stupid, and definitely NOT smarter than a fifth grader. Note: I would never actually watch that god forsaken show with Jeff Foxworthy.

So like a good student, something I never was past 10th grade, I buy the Kaplan books for GRE overall test and math workbook. I start with the vocabulary section because usually words triumph over numbers in my brain, and I want to ease into this. WRONG. I get to words like this: speulchral, novitiate and vituperate. The first word reminds me of scepetor, which reminds me of a king holding a long stick. Second word? Looks like novia in Spanish, which means girlfriend. Vituperate means nothing to me.

New plan: Make flashcards with five new words everyday that I will learn to use in sentences for the rest of my summer. After yesterday's cards, I can do this:

Sarah will never be an ERUDITE graduate student. The mean boy ADULTERATED the innocent girl. The GRE test is an ENIGMA to me.

I would write about the fact that I can't even freaking add fractions let alone know what to do with exponents but I have to make more flashcards.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoah! Lots of posts to comment on.
GRE: The words are crazy hard. I did better on the math than i did on the vocab, which made me feel like an idiot, so I'm glad you're struggling, too.

Which makes me sound like a horrible friend. On the bright side, once you have an advanced degree, you can make up words. Just ask brother.

Studying sounds painful. Good luck with the fractions.