9.23.2008

Keep the camera charged!

We picked out the ring I am going to wear for the rest of my life on Friday.

The jeweler knows the boy’s family and his dad, brother and friends all bought from him. His store is the size of my living room and the walls are plastered with pictures of professional athletes from Minnesota buying their rings there in addition to Clair Huxtable (Phylicia Rashād) from the Cosby Show (hi, fate).

Gene, the jeweler, had rings and diamonds ready for me to try on. We narrowed it down to a few and then we both just loved one more than the others. It’s a set. Custom designed in NYC for this jewelry store. Only sold once to a couple in Seattle. And it is very, very sparkly.

And it was my size. (fate, again).

There were loose diamonds chosen, prices given, phone numbers exchanged, and then it went back into the vault.

And now, until I see that ring again, every conversation will go this way:

Boy: Hey, do you want to grab dinner tonight?

Me: Yes. WHY? What’s the occasion? Should I dress up? Did you remember the camera? I hope my cell phone is charged today. And the camera! Did you charge the camera? What if the camera battery IS charged but it’s still in the charger in the kitchen? Oooohhh no! Not again! Not now!

And then realizing that it’s highly unlikely I am going to be proposed to at Chipotle, I will cease the panic attack and walk out of the house confidently sans camera in my jeans and sweatshirt.

No comments: