12.13.2006

Take out the trash

Whenever I stay past 5 p.m. at work, the trash guy comes to empty my overflowing trash can. At first I said "hi" or "thanks," but after he never responded, I stopped. Instead, I have to concentrate on my computer screen, which today was being extremely interested in the 10-day forecast. I imagine if we actually did have a conversation it'd go something like this:

Me: "Thanks for cleaning up after me."

Trash man: "No problem. I get paid a whole six bucks to pick up your waste."

Me: "Yeah..sorry that I am too lazy to break down those boxes so that you actually have to balance them on top of the can as you roll down the hall."

TM: "It's actually more annoying when you drink 3/4 of a can of 7Up and then throw it away and it ends up spilling all over my snazzy uniform."

Me: "You think that's bad? How do you feel about the Lean Cuisines that not only spill but smell like teriyaki."

TM: "Yum, teriyaki."

Me: "Same place, same time tomorrow? "

TM: "Like I have a choice."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

MY trash guy doens't talk to me either! I think it is in their contract or something.

It's always awkward for me becasue my trashcan is under my desk next to my legs, so he has to get really close to me and yet he still won't talk to me.

I think it's cuz I'm scary.

Or, he's upset about the SmartOnes that smell like enchiladas...

Jo said...

My trash guy said hi to me tonight. I think that's the only English word he knows, because I said hi back, and then when he returned my trash can to its place, I said thank you and he just looked at me. (I thought of you, Sarah.)