12.17.2007

Christmas shopping

I had my Christmas shopping done several weeks ago. Yesterday, though, the boy volunteered us to shop for his Adopt-A-Family kids that his company is adopting. I love doing stuff like this, unfortunately the Target gods were against us.

Granted, I shouldn't expect much from Target on basically the weekend before Christmas. But good lord. I started pushing the cart through toy aisles for maybe 30 seconds before I was ready to buy the kids some socks and call it good. We stared at V-Tech toys for about 15 minutes and then argued in the baseball equipment aisle for another 15 about how it's not ridiculous that a disadvantaged family would be happy with a $20 baseball glove even though it was going to fall apart in a year and wouldn't make little Victor into the next MVP.

So after getting the glove, some baseballs and bases, we only needed a nightlight. Just a $1 nightlight seems like an easy task. But, it's like rush hour on the Interstate on a Friday afternoon. People push their carts without looking or park them in the middle of the aisle to wander off to another area of the store blissfully unaware that I am plotting to steal all their purses to teach them a lesson. We looked in furniture, lamps, lightbulbs, kids bedding, toys, small electrics... everywhere for a nightlight. By then the boy is asking me why I keep snapping at him. Because I am. He keeps making jokes and I keep glaring at him like he has caused this mayhem and forced me to come here against my will.

We found the nightlight. Next to camping equipment. Because that's what I want to do when I am sleeping in a tent under the stars - plug in a nightlight.

And then the boy bought me a Dr. Pepper for my troubles, and the world was once again OK.

No comments: