10.01.2006

The Women of Philadelphia

I'm in line at Starbucks this morning, which is in the lobby of my hotel, and this man/woman is behind me talking about Jerry Lewis and doing a strip tease in the middle of the night because she was too hot in her hotel room. She has a voice that makes it completely unable to distinguish if she's man or woman.

I finally can turn around to look when I get up to order my mocha and she is wearing red plaid pajama pants, a black faded t-shirt, extremely damaged blond hair that goes past her shoulders and looks as if she has neglected to brush it for months, unisex glasses and a weird face. Add all this to the weird voice.

As I am waiting for my drink, Josh II (Josh is my Starbucks pal in Minneapolis, not his real name, or could be, who knows?) catches me staring at this woman as she deeply chatters away. He says "hey, how are you today?" with this big I-caught-you grin on his face. I start laughing and say "oh good..." He goes back to making his drinks with a huge grin on his face as well as a head shake and laugh occasionally with a glance at me.

Note: While all this is happening, I am definitely wearing polka dot flip flops, navy pajama pants that could probably pass for daytime pants, a K-State windbreaker, no makeup and unbrushed hair. It remains to be seen whether Josh II was thinking "that girl looks like she just rolled out of bed and came to the lobby for wireless internet, who is she to judge" or whether he thought I was cute and hillllarious.

2 comments:

Jo said...

I bet he thought you were cute and hilarious. Because you are.

Anonymous said...

I vote for cute and hilarious, too.